Re: Pianostaff 4-part writing and rests

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Pianostaff 4-part writing and rests
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:25:28 -0500

On Jan 24, 2015, at 16:55 , Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>> Lastly got this help from Marc Hohl:
>> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=336
>
> The linked issue (https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1228)
> currently has a status of “abandoned” — well, at least the associated patch
> does, if not the whole issue.
>
> Is there a technical reason why the most up-to-date engraver (e.g.,
> https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/blob/c53380f5ca460d244a017389dc4bcb79a3f04d14/editorial-tools/merge-rests-engraver/definition.ily)
>  has not been (or cannot be) rolled into the main Lilypond codebase? Or is it
> technically sound, and now it's only a matter of somebody making an
> appropriate/official patch and submitting it?
>
> The merged output is definitely standard engraving practice, so it would be
> nice to see this enhancement in Lilypond, if the coding is already done (or
> at least very close).

FYI, for two voices per staff, recent (2.19.16) changes to the part combiner
are supposed to merge both rests and multi-measure rests when appropriate.  Of
course, you must be willing to accept the part combiner's decisions about solo
passages etc. or use those tedious \partcombineX commands.

It would be nice if concurrent simultaneous rests could be merged without
requiring the part combiner.  Then we could simplify the part combiner.  (You
might be a programmer if you enjoy undoing hours worth of work as much as doing
it in the first place.)
—
Dan