Re: Problem with r2. in two voices

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Problem with r2. in two voices
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:29:21 +1100

On 8/02/15 12:46 PM, Cynthia Karl wrote:
I don’t understand two things about the following snippet:

\version "2.19.15"
    Aa = \relative c'' {\oneVoice r2. }
    Ab = \relative c'' {\oneVoice r2. }
\score {
      \new Staff  <<
              \time 3/4
              \new Voice \Aa
              \new Voice \Ab

      \layout {}
}First, why does the r2. rest have a two augmentation dots?  Is there any way to fix that?

which produces:

Second, why does that snippet throw the following two warnings:

warning: cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set
\oneVoice
r2.
warning: cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set
\oneVoice
r2.
I see some information in the Notation Manual about Multimeasure Rest direction, but that’s not involved here.  There is, as best as I can determine, anything about simple rest collision/direction in any of the v2.19.15 documentation set.  Furthermore, the lack of resolution of rest collision doesn’t seem to lead to any problems.

The warnings explain the visual output - you are trying to put two dotted rests in the same place at the same time. LP has managed to separate the augmentation dots, but not the rests themselves.

But what is the aim of this snippet? Why do you have \oneVoice in your definitions for Aa and Ab?

Using \voiceOne and \voiceTwo separates the rests:

\version "2.19.15"
    Aa = \relative c'' {\voiceOne r2. }
    Ab = \relative c'' {\voiceTwo r2. }
\score {