Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:58:32 +0200

I always wondered why Lilypond was defined as a program (http://www.lilypond.org/) for me it is more (should be) a descriptive language, that several programs can interpret.

Only LilyPond as a program can process the lilypond input and transform it into a score. So your view is not correct IMO.
You can think of Denemo and similar applications as front-end: they let the user interact with a graphical interface and eventually they invoke lilypond to process this input.

As Lilypond is above all an engraving program, I don’t think we should work on composing tools. Let this kind of features to other software like Denemo and co.

I agree.
Another work in progress for composing in a "LilyPond environment" is Laborejo.