Re: Bar numbers seem to be one off

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Bar numbers seem to be one off
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:39:25 +0200

On 26.09.2015 12:36, Wols Lists wrote:
On 26/09/15 08:31, Andrew Bernard wrote:
However, you don’t often see scores with every barline numbered, and generally
publishers only print the bar number at the start of each line, and normally
leaving out 1.
Actually, printing bar numbers at the start of each line is NOT general
practice.

‘General practice’ doesn’t mean that every single score has it.

  Yes I think it's great, and leave it there when I'm redoing
parts, but I've almost never seen it in any music I've been given to play.

Which seems to be a particularity of that domain in which you happen to make music. True, it didn’t become common until some time in the 20th century – leaving us to wonder how on earth ensemble rehearsals were done before, if often there were no rehearsal marks either. And nowadays some publishers/editors flood their scores with bar numbers for every second or even every single measure, which I find aesthetically somewhat off-putting and practically lazy: a little mind training is always good.

Yours, Simon