Re: Rounded beams

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Rounded beams
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:04:00 -0500

Hi all,

> I am starting to think there are two general classes of musicians, the
> functionalists, and the aestheticists.
> […] I suspect these groupings may be mutually exclusive!

I think a binary view like that is limiting, and in general unhelpful.

I, for one, take great care to make sure that my scores are both functional
*and* beautiful.
And I’m glad Lilypond has the tools to let me work on both the functionality
and beauty of my scores.

> Have a look at a Gutenberg Bible. I am certain Mr Gutenberg regarded his work
> as art and not just cranking out a work-a-day functional text.

The visual splendour of Gutenberg Bibles are in sharp contrast with the 99.9%
of printed — and, yes, far more functional — Bibles that are used by real
people in real churches (and elsewhere) every day.

Here’s my final thought on the matter: “Patches are always welcome.”  =)

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info