Re: chordmode and markup

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: chordmode and markup
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 23:33:04 +0200

>> Why this is not correct:
>>\chordmode {c} \markup {test}

[Carl]
>When you do \chordmode{c}, you have ended the music _expression_ containing
>the c, so you can no longer attach a markup to the c chord.  So you just
>move the markup inside the \chormode music _expression_, where it is
>attached to the chord.

Thank you to David, Carl, Simon and Thomas for your help!!

1 Where I was supposed to find/understand this thing in the manual?

2 May I suggest to add a remarks in the manual to avoid this error, something like Carl noted:

When you do \chordmode{c}, you have ended the music _expression_ containing
the c, so you can no longer attach a markup to the c chord.  So you just
move the markup inside the \chormode music _expression_, where it is
attached to the chord.

3 Would it be possible to write in the compiler error a hint for the user? Something like:

Error: markup outside of text script or \lyricmode
  \chordmode {c} _\markup {test}

Maybe you want to do
  \chordmode{c _\markup {test}}
?