Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 13:58:48 +0100

On 23/05/2016 18:38, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
it's very common to describe a pitch with something like "C# -49.52c" where the latter part is a deviation in cents from a standard reference pitch (which can also be set as "A440" or some other tuning pitch [which is sometimes necessary when dealing with European orchestras inexorably tuning themselves higher and higher to seem more "flashy" or whatever]).

Not a modern phenomenon. A lot of Baroque parts are almost unsingable in the original pitch because they were written for A=400 or somesuch.

And when I bought my first trombone the band I played with threatened to hacksaw bits off it because as a modern instrument it was tuned to A=440. Most of the (ancient) band instruments were tuned to something like A=460 and mine wouldn't sharpen up enough.

Cheers,
Wol