Re: partcombine for choir and piano?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: partcombine for choir and piano?
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 17:06:19 -0500

On 8/2/2018 4:37 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
On 02.08.2018 23:15, Noeck wrote:
1. Does \partcombine make sense for combining *soprano and alto* into
one staff or should I use voices? I see pros (+) and cons (-):

  - The fact that I would prefer the 'apart' style everywhere makes me
    think that it's perhaps not what \partcombine is intended for.

It certainly isn’t; surely nobody ever considered vocal writing while working on the part combiner. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it doesn’t work; since the part combiner always uses the same internal voice names, I can even imagine (without ever having tried it) that in a clever setup one could find a convenient way to flexibly attach lyrics, coordinated with the modes of the part combiner.

Almost all of my LilyPond projects are SATB or TTBB hymns or choral music. I use \partcombine unless I have a more-complex work that needs each part on its own staff. This is because my audiences are not used to the "apart" style.

Since you prefer the "apart" style, you could just use separate simultaneous voices. My experience with \partcombine makes me doubt that it would be a big improvement for handling dynamics, but instead would likely have its own set of problems. For example, voices get de-combined at dynamics, might need a separate simultaneous dynamics context.

For lyrics on a multi-voice staff, associating them with a simultaneous NullVoice is often the way to go.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA