Re: GUI for selecting text and music fonts (was: Sample document to show

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: GUI for selecting text and music fonts (was: Sample document to show music fonts)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 21:34:11 +0200

Hi Urs,

this looks really great.

I realized that I have different preferences whether I have to choose a
text font for a paragraph of text or for some words like "cresc." or
"dim." in a score. Therefore, I like the idea of showing the text font
inside a score.

I agree that a list of fonts is better than a drop-down box. How about
sth like:

|text font|example   |
|---------|----------|
|Font1    | preview  |
|Font2    | image    |
|...      |          |
|---------|----------|

where Font1 and Font2 is already written using the font. (Optionally
with another column for music fonts – but that’s probably too much for
one dialog.)
The preview image should contain titling, numbers (barnumbers, tuplet
numbers etc.), lyrics and maybe extra text blocks like stanzas.

Another thought (which is not necessary for first shot but maybe later):
How about caching the images? Then the user could quickly switch between
fonts without interruption by compiling the score.
For the final decision, some toggle function would be nice (like
elbsound does) – either on click or on mouse-over – to quickly see the
difference between the last two choices.

Once again: a very nice thing!

Best,
Joram