Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 11:39:20 -0700 (MST)

Andrew Bernard wrote
> I am doing a long string quartet. The full score sits nicely in the middle
> of an A4 landscape page with a generous top margin. But there's a solo
> viola part that's very dense and the staves fill out the whole page very
> tightly right to the bottom, and it looks clumsy because there is lots of
> space at the top margin not able to be utilised.
>
> Is it possible to alter the top margin for just a single page in the midst
> of a score where it is otherwise OK?
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I think there is a better way (at least it is the one that I use), simply
with
\overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
            #'((Y-offset . -10))

Place it before the first note of the highest system of your page and then
you can gain some space in your top margin.

I often use #'((Y-offset . 0)) because I think the margins should stay
intact and never have content inside (that's the whole purpose of the
margins !). But LP calculate the distance of the first stave between the top
markup (generally the page number) and the highest thing in the first staff.
But in some cases it isn't convenient, for instance on ottava bracket in the
middle of the line will not interfer with the page number and there is no
reason to align the bottom of the page number to this item. That's where I
find this command verry useful because it will put the ottava bracket
exactly at the limit of the margin.

I don't know if what I said was clear enough!

All the best.