Re: Error message

From: Craig Dabelstein
Subject: Re: Error message
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:15:21 +1000

Thanks for the help everyone.

I narrowed down the guilty bars. Here's a MWE, however, it doesn't reproduce the error in this MWE. When these two bars are replaced with s1.*2 the files produce no error. I really don't know where to go from here. Any advice?

Craig

\version "2.19.82"
\language english

\relative c'' {
  \time 3/2
  \tuplet 3/2 2 {
    r4 df -. \f af -. gf' -. cf, -. ef -. gf, -. e' -. a, -.
  } |

  \tuplet 3/2 2 { r4 g' -. bf, -. f' -. e, -. r df' -. c, -. r } |
}

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 20:36, DJF <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2019, at 1:38 AM, Craig Dabelstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Lilyponders,
>
> Can anyone tell me what this error message means when trying to compile a file?
>
> Drawing systems.../home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/darwin-x86/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-stable-2.20/flower/include/drul-array.hh:35: failed assertion `d == 1 || d == -1'
> Exited with exit status 1.

This is my least favorite kind of error! Whenever I have these, it often concerns beaming, especially when LP is trying to beam more than two notes but, because of a misplaced octave or perhaps a clef change, it can't draw a satisfactory beam. Sometimes, just turning off beaming in 4s can allow the file to compile so that you can start investigating.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/beams.en.html

If that doesn't work, and if the file has been compiling fine right along, I'll assume the issue has to do with the part most recently entered. I'll stick a %} at the end of the part and then pick a reasonable point to put a %{ and, with that section now "turned off", I'll see if the piece can compile. If not, I keep moving the %{ earlier and earlier until it does.

Hope this helps,

Dan

--
photograph