Re: transpose for baritone sax

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: transpose for baritone sax
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:56:22 +0200

Am 27.09.19 um 02:33 schrieb Francesco Petrogalli:
I understand that the correct way of doing this is first write the
notes in the tonality of the instrument, and _then_ use \transposition
to get the correct pitches in the midi, but I already have the notes
in the ly file with the orchestral pitch and I would like to avoid
rewriting the whole part.

If you write everything “in C” you can use it for the score directly (I guess that’s what you call “orchestral pitch”?).

You are right: For the transposed parts with midi in C you need \transposition. But you don’t have to rewrite everything, just use \transpose too:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.83"

altosax = \relative {
  \key c \major