Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL

From: karl
Subject: Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 02:08:11 +0100 (CET)

Urs:
> One of the main issues we have at play here (and that has been discussed
> by others in this thread) is that tools like LilyPond and LaTeX blur the
> lines between source, program, and document.
>
> The arguments that are expressed *for* a requirement to license the PDF
> (etc.) files resulting from a LilyPond or LaTeX run are all based on the
> assumption that the graphical documents created like this are
> "comparable to the binary resulting from a compilation using a "typical"
> C compiler." I think (which others have stated earlier today) that the
> culprit here is that these arguments (e.g. when pointing to resources
> like https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifiedJustBinary)
> assume that a "resulting PDF document" can be considered equivalent to a
> "resulting program" or "resulting software". It has been said several
> times: the PDF/PNG/SVG resulting from a LilyPond run is a document, not
> a program.

Just to provide a data point...

As I work with postscript files, the result is certaintly a program.
Also files (at least one) from the lilypond distribution are included
verbatim in the output (I.ps is just one file created using lilypond).

//////////////////
$ fgrep -a -A10 'procset (music-drawing-routines.ps)' I.ps
%%BeginResource: procset (music-drawing-routines.ps) 1 0
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%
% Functions for direct and embedded PostScript

% Careful with double % as comment prefix.
% Any %%X comment is interpreted as DSC comments.

% TODO: use dicts or prefixes to prevent namespace pollution.

/pdfmark where
//////////////////
$ head -10 /Net/git/lilypond/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%
% Functions for direct and embedded PostScript

% Careful with double % as comment prefix.
% Any %%X comment is interpreted as DSC comments.

% TODO: use dicts or prefixes to prevent namespace pollution.

/pdfmark where

Regards,
/Karl Hammar