Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Scheme coding] turning a list into a markup/string
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 00:42:38 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> # goes into Scheme, and #{ goes into music mode then.
>
> Yes, that makes sense in retrospect.
>
>> If you write #{ then # goes into Scheme and Scheme has no idea what {
>> is supposed to be.
>>

> And tells you so, in no uncertain terms.  ;)

Oh, that would be better than what I'd expect.  Which would rather be
throwing a tantrum and making a big mess.  But the first words of the
tantrum might still make some sense if you manage focusing on them.

>> I've not fundamentally changed LilyPond's design.
>
> Sorry… That was not meant to be a comment on your work

I didn't really take it to be.  It was just pointing out that I am more
of an improver than a designer.  Two days ago Han-Wen was looking over
my shoulder and pointed out helpfully where I wrote

   \override NoteHead.style = #'mensural

instead of

   \override NoteHead style = #'mensural

or possibly

   \override Notehead #'style = #'mensural

and it was really jarring for me to realise just how quietly I have been
treading.  The LilyPond Han-Wen has been familiar with will still answer
him in the accustomed manner.

In Stanisław Lem's "Pilot Pirx" series there is a story "Terminus" where
a repair robot hammering lead as a sealant does it repeating Morse
sequences of previous cosmonauts who perished in a catastrophe it was
part of, and Commander Pirx on a whim knocks some question into the
mindless sequences of the robot and gets responses.

> — just pointing out that Scheme is daunting enough to start learning
> without hearing that the main thing you’re planning to wrestle with
> (at least in the short term) is made up of "icky things".
>
>> I've not really had much of a wrestling match with markup and their
>> commands yet.
>
> Perhaps once I’m more comfortable with Scheme I can start to wrestle
> with them, and you can "tag in" when I’m pinned.

Let's see where we get when.

--
David Kastrup