Re: Three voices in same staff, from two variables

From: Ben Rosen
Subject: Re: Three voices in same staff, from two variables
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 01:09:23 -0400

Thanks for your response!

I think I managed to get what I wanted (and no compilation errors) using just your "\new Voice { \voiceOne \melody }" in the \score block. The actual piece is a little different than this simplified example, and it seems like I don't need the multiple "\new Voice" statements in the "harm" variable, since I only need an extra voice for measure a single measure (9 of a 16-measure section), and using multiple new Voice statements would have meant using many measures' worth of spacers, which seemed excessive to me. But simply adding "\new Voice { \voiceOne \melody }" did the trick, and I may use your two-voiced example for other re-harmonizations, so thanks again!

Ben

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
El 18/3/20 a las 20:41, Ben Rosen escribió:
> Perhaps I should use something more explicit involving "\new
> Voice"? Is there a way to do this that preserves the variable structure
> I've laid out or is there a better approach for this situation?

Here is how I would write your music.

\version "2.20.0"
\language "english"

melody = \relative c' {
   af'2. af4 |
   af c g4. f8 |
}

harm =  {
   <<
     \new Voice \relative c' { \voiceFour <ef c>1 }
     \new Voice \relative c' { \voiceTwo bf2 af <df f> s}

}

\score {
   \new Staff <<
     \new Voice { \voiceOne \melody }
     \harm

}

%%%%%%%%

I.e. go explicit as often as you can, so you don't lose control over
which voice number the music is in.

The part

   \voiceFour <ef c>1

comes from the aim to be an intermediate secondary voice.

https://cloud.paconet.org/index.php/s/wGaeX4CqYMHrD3Y/download

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es