Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 20:06:17 -0400

> On 12 Jul, 2020, at 9:38 AM, Urs Liska <lists@openlilylib.org> wrote:
>

> \definePreset \with {
>  thickness = 3
>  Y-position = 2
> } my-function.appearance default
>
> \definePreset \with {
>  parent = default
>  color = #green
> } my-function.appearance style-one
>
> \definePreset \with {
>  parent = default
>  color = #magenta
> } my-function.appearance style-two
>
> Using it the properties included in the preset are used while others
> keep the current global value. Additionally arbitrary properties can be
> overridden locally:
>
> {
>  \myFunction \with {
>    preset = style-two
>    label = "Foo"
>    thickness = 2 % properties from presets can be overridden too
>  } c'
> }

To me this looks like a property set with inheritance rules.  Frankly, I would
suggest implementing a unified notation and not have two separate concepts that
need naming.  Unless there’s some fundamental reason why a “preset” without a
parent is different from a “property set” that I’m missing.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE