Re: Dynamics context

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics context
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 12:27:29 -0400

Hi Martín,

> I wanted to ask if using the Dynamics context is the simplest way available
> in Lilypond for achieving this kind of vertically aligned dynamics.

I believe so.

> The huge drawback of the Dynamics context is that it disrupts the syntax,
> since dynamics can’t be used next to the first note they’re attached to, but
> instead they need a separate variable, reducing readability of the actual
> “music”.

I imagine three possible ways to solve this problem, while being able to enter
all input (notes, dynamics, etc.) in a single variable:

1. Send the variable into two different contexts, one (the "Staff") which
strips all dynamic events, and one (the "Dynamics") which contains only dynamic
events. It seems like this is what you tried to do, but failed at — perhaps if
you include a MWE, we can all work with it and see how it can be improved.

2. Have a mechanism like "\change Staff" which allows you to "push" dynamic
events into a separate context (the way that staff changes "pushes" notes into
a different staff context).

3. Write an engraver that does the extraction/removal/addition automagically.

I have not put a lot of effort (or even thought) into seeing which of these is
even possible in Lilypond… but maybe this thread will inspire the community
(including me) to do so?

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)