Re: Some wild considerations and a question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Some wild considerations and a question
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:54:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Jacques,

> There have been very interesting discussions about all this at the
> Salzburg conference last January, which lead me to dream of things
> being done another way in an ideal world: [...]
>
> - switch to another, easier to read and write extension language.
>   Someone suggested Lua, for example, which would be a good
>   candidate it seems;

This could only happen as an addition.  Compare this to `pandoc`: For
many people the native Haskell is too exotic to write extensions, thus
Lua was added as a simpler solution.

> [...]
>
> - rely only on C++, flex, bison and the extension language.
>   Eliminating the need for GUB and Python would greatly simplify
>   porting LilyPond to various environments, including web sites,
>   phones and tablets.

GUB will be history soon, thanks to the work mainly of Jonas.  It's
not clear to me why you want to eliminate the use of Python.

    Werner