Re: Some wild considerations and a question

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Some wild considerations and a question
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:57:08 +1100

Are you talking about reimplementing LilyPond from scratch?

I'm happy with Scheme, as a programmer. It's the Guile implementation that causes the performance issue with Guile 2, not the Scheme languages. Perhaps it's just that with advanced tools one requires advanced knowledge. As with anything.

Here's my two cents worth. For modern implementations, you could inquire as to how Dorico is implemented. [May be proprietary information.]

Being a very heavy user of LilyPond, what I don't like is twofold, a) it's compiled, and the compilation takes a very long time, and b) its completely single threaded so having a really grunty machine makes very little difference to a). Whereas programs like Dorico hold in memory presumably and changes even to large scores are instant. They would be the biggest changes I would like, but of course necessitating complete rewrite. Seems unlikely to me. But after years of LilyPond I am at the point where I need to go to Dorico because I can't afford minutes of wait time to tweak a slur or make other micro changes (even with the typesetting on/off commands my scores are so complex the compiles are long).

Andrew