Setting global staff size after the \paper block nullifies font setting

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Setting global staff size after the \paper block nullifies font setting
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:05:52 +1000

Hi all,

I've come across a little problem that I don't know how to fix. I've changed the text font in a vocal score by using the scheme #define font procedure, and have noticed that if I subsequently use #(set-global-staff-size) after the \paper block, the font reverts back to the default. It doesn't do this if I use #(set-global-staff-size) before the paper block.

This is a little annoying, because I would like to use a global \paper block for all the motets in the edition, but still be able to tweak the staff sizes for each score somewhat to achieve consistent system counts (which messes up the font setting if I do it before each \score in the file). I am also using a global \layout block, so I can't put the staff size setting there either (unless someone can show me a way of defining some layout settings in a global variable file without freaking Lilypond out - I have tried but not succeeded.)

 A sample file is attached. Just toggle the staff-sizing commands before and after the \paper block to see how the header font changes.

I would appreciate any help!

Regards,

Brent.