Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:50:39 -0500

Ken,

Using Trumpet in b-flat ...

When the trumpet player looks at their part written in C-major and they play the note middle-c, c', what sounds is the note b-flat, one step lower. Thus all the orchestra/wind ensemble parts that play Concert C (your tuba or trombone) must play a b-flat to play the same note. Thinking at the score level, the work would be in the key of B-flat, but the part written for the b-flat trumpet will be in C-Major.

This idea applies to all non-Concert instruments. Following the example above with an F-horn part in the key of C-Major. When the horn player plays middle C ( c' ), the note that comes out is the F a fifth below c'. For the rest of the concert-C instruments to play in the same key, they'd play in F-Major.

Now reverse the logic - a work in the concert key of C-Major. If the trumpet is a b-flat trumpet, and their C is b-flat, to get to concert-C they must play a whole step higher. Following the logic above, they'd be looking at their part in the key of D-major, and their note d' will sound one whole step lower, c'.

You have several ways to proceed. One is to enter the pitches AS THEY ARE in the score you have. Then use the \transpose options in Lilypond to modify the output files:

\transpose <from_pitch> <to_pitch>

To get a b-flat trumpet part to concert pitch, its part must be written DOWN a whole step (from the example above, from D-major in the trumpet part, to C-major which is the key the work is in):

\transpose d c { <lp_code_variable_here> }

You can:

  1. Have one output file for the pitches as the instrumentalists must see them (as you now have).
  2. Have a second output file to transpose all instruments to concert C so that a conductor will see things in the same key
  3. Have the midi output tied to 2. rather than 1. so that it sounds harmonious.

This can ALL happen in the \score {} part of your Lilypond source file:

%%% Transposed parts, IF NEEDED

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part One"
  }
  { \global \transpose <from_pitch> <to_pitch> { \partOne } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Two"
  }
  { \global \transpose <from_pitch> <to_pitch> { \partTwo } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Three"
  }
  { \global \transpose <from_pitch> <to_pitch> { \partThree } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Four"
  }
  { \global \transpose <from_pitch> <to_pitch> { \partFour } }

  \layout { }
  \midi { \tempo 4=100 }
}

%%% Non-transposed parts
\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part One"
  }
  { \global  { \partOne } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Two"
  }
  { \global  { \partTwo } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Three"
  }
  { \global  { \partThree } }
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = "Part Four"
  }
  { \global  { \partFour } }

  \layout { }
  \midi { \tempo 4=100 }
}

If you enter the work in concert pitch, then the \transpose directive goes the other way. To get the output trumpet part for a work in concert C, the \transpose directive would be:

\transpose c d { <music> }

Hope this helps. For more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposing_instrument