Re: Sending around contexts

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Sending around contexts
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:53:44 +0200

Hi Kieren,

Is there any technical reason this kind of thing shouldn’t be in the codebase,
with the end-goal to replace the current “Piano with centred dynamics”
template/mechanism with a \with-driven improvement?

If it’s simply ;) a matter of getting the code polished up and pushed through
the submission process, I’d love to work with Lukas (or whomever) to make this
my first patch…

Well, based on my recent experience with \after, I think it might be reasonable to develop and test something like that outside of the regular codebase, in order to see how it fares in everyday heavy use. (To be honest, it's not clear to me yet what you're describing.) Often, one of the harder questions is the degree of generality one should strive for.

As soon as the basic idea and implementation have stabilized, the task of turning an addition into a merge request is actually very smooth a) due to the move to GitLab and b) due to the incredibly helpful people in the development team. My first real contribution (a slight improvement of the figured bass feature) was in a working, but clearly half-baked and not well thought-out state when I first proposed it, and the comments and ideas given (especially) by Jean were of tremendous help in elevating it to a level adequate for an addition to the main codebase.

Of course I'd love to help, but I should warn that I'm clearly the least experienced of all the people with merge privileges (which I only obtained a few weeks ago). On the other hand, the great thing about this development model is that you never have to rely on one person alone.

Lukas