optical recognition for input

From: James B. Wilkinson
Subject: optical recognition for input
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 03:20:56 -0500

I'm looking at getting an OCR program to recognize scans in pdf files and
create MusicXML files representing the contents. I would then use the
musicxml2ly or perhaps some other script to translate the MusicXML to Lilypond
files, I imagine that some of you are already doing this, and I wonder whether
you could give me or point me to some tips as to what software to use and how
to go about it.

Using MIDI files as the intermediate representation may also be a possibility.
I'd appreciate hearing about that, too.

thanks