Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 20:56:29 +0100

> On 3 Feb 2022, at 19:04, Knute Snortum <ksnortum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 9:32 AM Leo Correia de Verdier
> <leo.correia.de.verdier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 11:51 AM Kieren MacMillan
>> <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,

>>> If theoretical correctness (or, say, accuracy to a previous source) isn't a
>>> requirement, then I agree with Charlie: this is a moment in which, as a
>>> keyboard player, I'd much rather see two different notes [by pitch name].
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I'd say the split-stem convention is [perhaps
>>> counterintuitively?!] more readable for me. If you want to do this in
>>> Lilypond, I'm pretty sure Harm has solved this particular issue (see e.g.,
>>> https://archiv.lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,1176.msg6932.html#msg6932).
>
> Ok, the first attachment is using Harm's splayed stem chord function.
> Better?  Worse?
>
> Respelling the chord using a "gs" for the "af" is a possibility, but
> what about respelling the "a" as a "bff"?  The second attachment shows
> how that would look.

This seems to be the theoretically correct, as you have a number of persistent
A♭, and above a B♭ which is lowered chromatically, so it becomes a B𝄫 then.

One example of a playability concern is for an orchestral harp, which can set
pedal flats and sharps as in a key signature, but can not change the pedals
fast enough during performance. Then it must be a G♯ and an A; letting the
harpist do the respelling costs money (according to Blatter).