Tweaking the string number: no circle, and to the right?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Tweaking the string number: no circle, and to the right?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:30:28 +1100

Hello,

I am working my way through a manuscript from 1607 for viols (originally in tablature), trying to typeset it in modern notation.  For completeness, I also want to have a tablature score as well - this will be not only nice in itself, but allow me to check my transcription.

This means including string numbers in the score, so that particular notes fall on given strings.  There's not really a great need for the string numbers in the score, so I could remove them I guess with "\remove String_number_engraver" in a Staff context.  But if I wanted to include the string numbers I'd prefer them to look like fingering: single numbers, and to the right of the note.

I've tried "\set stringNumberOrientations = #'(right)" in a music definition, but this doesn't work; at least, the string numbers are set above the note, rather than to the right.

Then there's the problem of removing the circle around the string number.  I believe this can be achieved by modifying the stencil, but I'm not quite sure how, or what to.

If anybody can point me in the direction of either documentation or examples for something like this, I'd be very grateful!

Alasdair

--
Alasdair McAndrew (he/him)
mob: 0432 854 858