Re: Tweaking the string number: no circle, and to the right?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Re: Tweaking the string number: no circle, and to the right?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 11:43:47 +1100

Many thanks indeed for that heads-up!  But I have another problem, in that I'm typesetting my chords as per the practice of the time, which was to have the stem of the upper note up, and the stem of the lower note(s) down.  I have done this using voices, and a simple function to save typing:

chord =
#(define-music-function
     (topnote bottomnote)
     (ly:music? ly:music?)
   #{
    << { $topnote } \\ { $bottomnote } >>
   #})

(Thanks to people here - including you! - who helped me with this.)  I do have another function:

stRight = \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(right)

which I can place before any string number.  I suppose I could also set a stencil property here too (when I learn how to include two variable assignments in one function).  But it's a pain to have to include this function for every string number.

Of course I could get round a lot of this if I could tweak the chord function so that any chord is typeset as I want.

Thanks again,
Alasdair

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 10:48 AM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Alasdair McAndrew <amca01@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am working my way through a manuscript from 1607 for viols (originally in
> tablature), trying to typeset it in modern notation.  For completeness, I
> also want to have a tablature score as well - this will be not only nice in
> itself, but allow me to check my transcription.
>
> This means including string numbers in the score, so that particular notes
> fall on given strings.  There's not really a great need for the string
> numbers in the score, so I could remove them I guess with "\remove
> String_number_engraver" in a Staff context.  But if I wanted to include the
> string numbers I'd prefer them to look like fingering: single numbers, and
> to the right of the note.
>
> I've tried "\set stringNumberOrientations = #'(right)" in a music
> definition, but this doesn't work; at least, the string numbers are set
> above the note, rather than to the right.

It does work but only for the New_fingering_engraver that exclusively
deals with in-chord articulations.  So it will have an effect on

    <c\1>

but not on

    c\1

--