Re: Unknown expression mark

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: Unknown expression mark
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:37:16 +0000

This is simply a combination of marcato (aka "strong accent") and staccato.  The symbols are not usually overlapped like that, but it is not unknown - see the attached image from "Music Engraving Today" by Steven Powell (which I found in a discussion of how to get Dorico to do this).

I haven't tried, but I imagine that a little tweaking of vertical positions of the two symbols could get them to overlap like this.

Paul