Re: breaking vertical alignment of dynamic items

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: breaking vertical alignment of dynamic items
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 16:43:58 +0100

Considering the commit in question

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/f75fe46f1727ea0d28840781b0db54474c61442d

is 12 years old I do not believe anything has changed too recently :)

The earliest Lilypond version I’ve started with was 2.18, and I do not remember if this at some time worked back then,

even less I know if this has ever worked before. But at the very least it does not currently work:

{

  c\< c'\!\p

}

Note that these do different things:

\! actually sends a crescendo end event. So this is somthing like \stopTextSpan, and will

not take the place of an absolute dynamics event such as \ff. This one will be added as

right spanner bound no matter if the spanner was ended explicitely or implicitely, as long as the

event happend in the same timestep.

\breakDynamicSpan on the other hands sets a grob option "spanner-broken" which is only used by

the dynamic-align-engraver.

Cheers,

Valentin