Strange behaviour of multiple \include’d documents

From: Immanuel Asmus
Subject: Strange behaviour of multiple \include’d documents
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 16:10:06 +0100

Dear community,

I’ve been using lilypond for a fair amount of time, and even though I sometimes use non-standard notation, I’ve never had any problem finding a solution. Until now.

It’s my first time typesetting a song cycle I wrote. I want (as what I understand is recommended) to typeset every piece on its own, then include all of them via the \include command.

My main document looks like this:

\version "2.22.2"

\header {
  title = "Seltsame Liebeslieder"
  composer = "Frühjahr 2007 – Frühjahr 2021"
  tagline = ##f
}

\include "Trinklied.ly"
\include "Fruehlingslied.ly"
\include "Wetterlied.ly"

Now, including the first and second piece was no problem. When I add the third piece, however, I end up without any line break up from the middle of it (see attached “nobreak.png”).

Compiling Wetterlied.ly (outside the main document) works just fine. Also, \include’ing only "Wetterlied.ly" gives the desired result (as shown in "desired.png").

I’ve tried changing the order (first "Wetterlied.ly", then a different piece); I’ve tried stripping some paper information from the original file (there are only set-paper-size and the margins) – all to no avail. Since I do not know where to look for the error, I hesitate to post code from Wetterlied.ly. I will include, however, my code for mm. 26 throug 32 in each voice.

I’m hoping to find help here. Thanks in advance.

Immanuel

voice:

R1*15/16  \graceNotes {d8*1/2}  %26
| f8 r r4 r2  %27
|  r2 r4. g8
\bar "||" \key g \minor %28
   bes bes a bes4 bes a8  %29
| bes bes a bes r4. g8 %30
|  bes bes a bes ~ \tuplet 3/2 2 { bes4-- bes-- a--  %31
| bes-- bes-- a-- } bes4--
      \cadenzaOn \hideNotes \grace g4 \glissando \unHideNotes \cadenzaOff
      c8 a  %32

right hand:

schnips = {r4 d r d}
schnipsEins = {r4 d r2}
right = \relative c' {
   \repeat unfold 15 \schnips \schnipsEins
   \bar "||" \key g \minor
   \repeat unfold 7 \schnips \schnipsEins
}

left hand:

  f4-- r8 f as( g as4--)  %26
  f4-- r8 f c4-- es--   %27
  f4-- r2.   %28
  \bar "||" \key g \minor
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    g4-- r8 g d4-- f--    %29 (and later, 37)
  g4-- r8 g bes( a bes4--)  %30
  g4-- r8 g d4-- f--    %31
  g4-- r8 g bes( a g4--)  %32