lmi

Re: [lmi] Popup contextual help appears at mouse position

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Popup contextual help appears at mouse position
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:52:21 +0000

On 2008-03-03 02:08Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:22:53 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> > Otherwise, show help "near" the control: by default, position it just
> under
> GC> > it but place it above instead if it wouldn't fit on screen otherwise
> (this
> GC> > is a bit tricky as I don't know right now how to get the size of the
> GC> > tooltip window).
>
>  This patch:
>
> http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH/src/common/wincmn.cpp?r1=52272&r2=52271&pathrev=52272
>
> is the minimal necessary fix which implements showing the help popup
> underneath the window instead of at the mouse position unless the mouse is
> over the window.

I've applied the patch mentioned in your 2008-03-05T13:21Z email,
and it takes care of all the concerns I had raised.

>  But before spending time to ensure that the tooltip is positioned ideally
> (i.e. fully on screen yet as near as possible to the window) I'd like to
> ask you whether you can test the behaviour in the current state, i.e.
> without any special tooltip positioning code at all? I ask this because, to
> be honest, the current behaviour already looks good enough for me: the
> tooltip is shown just under the control so for it to be even partially
> hidden the control must be very close to the bottom (or right) screen
> boundary.

If you hadn't pointed that out, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

> The native tooltip tries to take care of the bottom boundary on
> its own (albeit not totally successfully) so all the code which we'd need
> to write would be needed only to prevent the rightmost part of the tooltip
> from being truncated in the unlikely case that the control it is shown for
> is almost immediately adjacent to the right monitor side.

It's also possible to move the dialog so that the focused control
isn't on the screen at all--in which case no tooltip appears. I
have a couple of msw applications (both ms and non-ms) that take
care of that.

Yet how significant is it? I can move a dialog so that a text
control with focus is entirely off the screen, and I can type
into it, but I don't get visual feedback...so what?

> Is it really
> worth it? IMO it isn't but please let me know if you think the current
> situation is unacceptable.

The current situation is completely acceptable to me.