lmi

Re: [lmi] Build warnings for pre-wx-2.9.5

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Build warnings for pre-wx-2.9.5
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 16:13:09 +0200

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:05:34 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Building 'wxWidgets-2013-07-11.tar.gz' with gcc-3.4.5, I get about
GC> three hundred lines of warnings, almost all of which occur in
GC> '../src/stc/'; here's a representative sample:
GC>
GC> ../src/stc/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:114: warning: converting to `int' from
`XYPOSITION'
GC> ../src/stc/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:231: warning: passing `XYPOSITION' for
converting 2 of `virtual void Surface::MoveTo(int, int)'
GC> ../src/stc/scintilla/src/Indicator.cxx:23: warning: converting to `int'
from `float'
GC> ../src/stc/scintilla/src/Indicator.cxx:25: warning: passing `const
XYPOSITION' for converting 1 of `virtual void Surface::MoveTo(int, int)'

 The trouble with those is that they are in third party code and it would
be nice to find some way to avoid them without changing it... And there
seem to be a lot of implicit float (XYPOSITION) to int conversions in the
Scintilla code. I just hope there are no real bugs there and they can be
safely ignored but to be honest I'm far from being sure about it.

 For LMI needs you could just avoid building "stc" library entirely as it's
not used by your code. I.e. you could just add "--disable-stc" to configure
command line.

GC> Here are all the warnings that occur outside '../src/stc/',

 Thanks, I've fixed all of them (there were several commits with the last
one being r74495) except this one:

GC> ../src/common/docview.cpp: In member function `virtual wxDocument*
wxDocManager::CreateDocument(const wxString&, long int)':
GC> ../src/common/docview.cpp:1504: warning: 'docNew' might be used
uninitialized in this function

 We had already discussed it in the past and it seems to be impossible to
avoid it as it's really due to a compiler bug (if you look at the sources,
you can see that the variable is initialized when it's declared so there is
no chance whatsoever for it to be used uninitialized).

 Thanks,
VZ