lmi

Re: [lmi] wx_test regression

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] wx_test regression
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 19:02:20 +0000

On 2014-10-29 14:42Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:08:49 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...I'm still not sure about the patch I had presented...]
> GC> The patch below replaces the progress dialog with wxBusyCursor [0],
>
>  Just a gratuitous plug: you could also use, with about the same amount of
> effort, wxBusyInfo which can show more information about what's going on,
> especially with the latest wx, see
> http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2014/10/being-busy-without-being-ugly.html

Let me sleep on that; but I would like to investigate this alternative:

> GC> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.wxperl.users/2011/02/msg7861.html
> GC> | There is a (C++) example in the wxWidgets sources; IIRC, you need to
> GC> | create the gauge as a child of the status bar and in the OnSize handler,
> GC> | set its size/position to the size of
> GC> |      $statusbar->GetFieldRect( 1 );
> GC>
> GC> Does that seem like a good idea to you? E.g., if you have a burning
> desire to
> GC> add a progress-gauge-in-statusbar class to wx, or it's a common way of
> doing
> GC> things in some influential new OS, then I don't want to discard it too
> quickly.
>
>  This is unlikely to be a common way of doing things in anything new
> because in modern UIs status bars themselves, let along progress bars in
> them, are not very common any longer. Personally I like to use a thin gauge
> at the top (i.e. just under the toolbar, if any, or the menu bar) or the
> bottom of the window, but I don't think this is really standard (except,
> perhaps, under Android where such progress gauges at the top are pretty
> common).
>
>  But LMI UI is "classic" rather than "modern" anyhow, and it does have a
> status bar. So I think it could indeed make sense to reuse it for showing a
> wxGauge inside it, a it's pretty empty currently anyhow. It should be
> possible to do it entirely within LMI without problems and I think it would
> be preferable to adding a progress field to wxStatusBar because I have no
> idea if this can be implemented under OS X (which LMI doesn't target and so
> doesn't have to care about, but wxStatusBar does) and even GTK+ 3 doesn't
> allow doing this any more (but it works fine in GTK+ 2).
>
>  If you'd like me to do this, do you want to use a specific progress
> indicator in this particular case or should we change progress meter
> implementation to always behave like this?

I'd like to see it working on my own screen before deciding.
Could you please send a patch demonstrating this idea? In
'skeleton.cpp', or in 'progress_meter.?pp'...whichever way
is easiest for a demonstration.