lmi

Re: [lmi] Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MSW

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Cross-compiling lmi from Linux to MSW
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:48:48 +0000

On 2016-01-22 14:17, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 04:26:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> mkdir ~/build/lmi-msw
[...
> GC> configure: error: Boost filesystem library boost_filesystem not found,
> use --with-boost-libs=dir
> GC> if it is installed in non default location
>
>  As usual, I'd really like to look at your config.log.

Okay, I'll do that routinely in future; I thought it would just be a
bothersome distraction.

> GC> Here's how I installed the cross toolchain:
> GC>   apt-get install g++-mingw-w64-i686
> GC> and let's see whether it's even remotely sane:
> GC>   i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -dumpversion
> GC>   4.6
> GC> Okay, this is debian-7, so it's an older gcc, and maybe I should
> GC> get 4.9.1 from debian-8 instead
>
>  Yes, you definitely should. g++ 4.6 doesn't support C++11 (it supports
> pieces of C++0x, but it's not at all the same thing) and it just doesn't
> make sense to go back and try to work around its problems when we're trying
> to standardize on using 4.9.

Would you recommend any particular way to do that? MinGW-w64 isn't in
wheezy-backports or wheezy-backports-sloppy. From what I've read, pinning
seems to be fraught with problems. I'm tempted to try enabling "jessie",
installing only the cross toolchain, and then un-enabling "jessie", but
that's a gross hack. Somewhere someone suggested using 'dpkg' to install
MinGW-w64 only, and 'apt' for everything else, but then someone else said
that's a bad idea. I suppose the best way is to download the cross
toolchain's sources and build them, but it might take a lot of work to
get that running. I really don't want to "upgrade" the OS to debian-8.