lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 18:10:58 +0000

On 2016-05-22 16:36, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2016 11:07:02 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> I'm going to take one last look at everything before the initial push.
>
>  I've just got back and after reading all your previous messages I don't
> see anything to comment on so, indeed, I don't see any reason to delay
> pushing your repository out any more.

Using ssh-agent...

/home/greg/repository/blessed/lmi[0]$git push --all -v
address@hidden:/srv/git/lmi.git
Pushing to address@hidden:/srv/git/lmi.git
Counting objects: 32422, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (6325/6325), done.
Writing objects: 100% (32422/32422), 7.30 MiB | 77 KiB/s, done.
Total 32422 (delta 26058), reused 32422 (delta 26058)
To address@hidden:/srv/git/lmi.git
 * [new branch]      master -> master
/home/greg/repository/blessed/lmi[0]$

And there it is:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lmi.git
There's also this:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lmi.git;a=summary
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=web/lmi.git;a=summary
which I think might still be experimental; the last one is a
read-only git mirror of our webpages at www.nongnu.org/lmi/ .

To use the repository (as opposed to just browsing in online):
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=lmi
I guess Kim, who doesn't commit anything, should do this:
  git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/lmi.git
while you and I would use this instead:
  git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/lmi.git

>  One thing not necessarily related to git I'd advise doing would be to add
> a README.git or something like this to the svn repository to indicate that
> it is obsolete and that the git one should be used instead, just to avoid
> any confusion to whoever finds it in a few years time.

Good idea. I should probably do that for the cvs repository too:
I once stumbled into that myself, somehow, and was confused.

>  Concerning email notifications, I'm still not sure how does this work on
> Savannah and whether we have access to the hook scripts ourselves or if we
> need to ask the site administrators to do anything with them. In the latter
> case it's probably not worth the bother, but in the former I think it could
> be nice to temporarily disable them for the initial push because even if it
> results in only a 1MB email, it's still rather useless to send it.

AFAICT only the savannah-hackers can change that.

So far, I see no commit mail for the initial push in the html
archives, but they are updated only every thirty minutes.

I'll edit .git/description and try to push it. If that doesn't
come through, then I'll ask them to add a hook.