lmi

Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot f

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi]
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 01:22:40 +0200

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 23:12:51 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> The issue I reported earlier was (commands in chronological order):
GC>
GC>   [host]$ ls -l /dev/sh*
GC>   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Feb 16  2016 /dev/shm -> /run/shm
GC>
GC>   [chroot]$ sudo rm /dev/shm
GC>
GC>   [host]$ ls -l /dev/sh*
GC>   zsh: no matches found: /dev/sh*
GC>
GC> Isn't that perfectly consistent with the portion of debian bug 728096
GC> quoted above...

 I still don't see how can this be possible :-( If /dev/shm is just a
symlink, there is no way that removing it from inside chroot can affect the
host file system. If it's a bind-mounted tmpfs file system, then destroying
its contents would indeed affect the host, but removing the mount point
itself still wouldn't do it.

 The only possibility I see is that schroot bind-mounts /dev itself. This
would explain the above, but does it really do this?

VZ