lmi

Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 01:57:39 +0200

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 21:20:55 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Here's the relevant section from the unfiltered log:
GC>
GC> Selecting previously unselected package libpulse0:amd64.
GC> Preparing to unpack .../libpulse0_5.0-13_amd64.deb ...
GC> Unpacking libpulse0:amd64 (5.0-13) ...
GC> dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/libpulse0_5.0-13_amd64.deb (--unpack):
GC>  trying to overwrite shared '/etc/pulse/client.conf', which is different
from other instances of package libpulse0:amd64
GC> dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

 FWIW, and in spite of your compliments to my Unix/Linux knowledge, I have
no idea what happened here. The only times when I had seen a similar error
was when I transitioned an existing Debian system from i386 architecture to
amd64 (and yes, this can be done even though reinstalling the system from
scratch in 64 bits might still be a better alternative). Then I was getting
similar errors when reinstalling 64 bit packages after removing, but not
purging (as I did want to keep their configuration) old 32 bit packages.
And the only matches for this error I'm getting from Google also point to
some multiarch problems. But if you hadn't used a 32 bit architecture
before, I really don't see why would this error occur...

GC> I also cherish the notion that a chroot is a completely self-contained
GC> same-OS VM with no overhead, but now I see it isn't (though a "plain"
GC> schroot comes pretty close).

 Yes, it does, and I use it like this too (e.g. to try the latest versions
of everything from sid or even experimental without sacrificing my main
system), but perhaps in this case it would be actually better to use a
container-based solution for real isolation. Arguably, it would take you
less time than fighting with [s]chroot and would be more useful going
forward.

 In case you'd like to try it out, Arch wiki provides one of the best
explanations: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_Containers (as
usual). Although I suspect that support for containers in Wheezy might be
not that great, they definitely work better with more recent kernels...

 Regards,
VZ