lmi

Re: [lmi] Ctrl-C in message box in Wine (was: "Not enough room for even

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Ctrl-C in message box in Wine (was: "Not enough room for even the first column" messagebox)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 17:12:22 +0200

On Thu, 2 May 2019 01:20:24 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> BTW, in msw I could copy the contents of a messagebox with Ctrl-C
GC> or something, but that doesn't work in wine, so I have to transcribe
GC> diagnostics manually. Fixing wine sounds hard;

 It isn't really, I've had a look at dlls/user32/msgbox.c in Wine sources
and adding a handler for WM_CHAR/WM_KEYDOWN there seems pretty
straightforward. Of course, a patch doing this would take some time to be
accepted into Wine (assuming it is accepted) and propagate into Debian from
there, but maybe you could use your own build of Wine in the meanwhile?

GC> maybe the answer is to print a copy of any messagebox's contents on the
GC> console.

 We could use a custom wxMessageOutput object in lmi: from what I remember
you're somewhat allergic to wxLog, but wxMessageOutput is much more
straightforward and is really just a direct replacement for modal
wxMessageBox calls, so I hope this would be less controversial.

 But I believe adding the missing feature to Wine would be a better choice.

 Regards,
VZ