lmi

Re: [lmi] Cathedral, bazaar, and PONIES!

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Cathedral, bazaar, and PONIES!
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 00:46:30 +0000

[quoting my own private email]

On 2017-08-27 23:45, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
> Having just upgraded from debian-7 to debian-9, I'm seeing the good
> and bad aspects of the bazaar model.

Smoothly upgraded to debian-10 now.

> The good: ext4 just works, as always [...]
>
> The bad: in thunderbird, I want scrollbars with arrow buttons (what
> gtk calls "steppers"), and I want them to be wider than a couple of
> pixels so that I can actually use them--i.e., no less usable than
> windows-386. Such is not the default behavior. They release early
> and release often, and have lots of eyeballs, so the defect is
> presumably shallow, but why doesn't this get fixed? No doubt they
> have rapidly merged changes forced by mozilla and by gtk, but now
> where do I need to make countervailing changes to regain usability?
> In a mozilla 'chrome' directory? In '~/.gtk*'? No, the only workaround
> that actually works is to download and try a bunch of xfce themes.
> Some add steppers, but remove the scroll thumb. Others include both
> these features, but make both ridiculously narrow at 192 DPI. Our
> lmi users would crucify us if we stretched the bazaar model to this
> extent.

Fixed thus:

$cat ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
/* https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2350690&p=13599709#post13599709 */

*{
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
}

/* https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376236 */

.scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.vertical slider {
min-width: 15px;
}

> And now I have a
>   /usr/share/themes/ZOMG-PONIES\!/xfce-notify-4.0/
> directory, which seems more appropriate for a rhinestone-studded
> pink computer.

I'm turning that on just to celebrate finally getting thunderbird fixed.