lmi

Re: [lmi] An initial step toward using 'config.guess' more generally

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] An initial step toward using 'config.guess' more generally
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:06:58 +0200

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:40:21 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-04-08 13:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 23:11:57 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> (2) liblzma's 'config.guess' is in a build-aux/ subdirectory, and it
GC> > GC> seemed weird to hard-code that...but that's where the wxPdfDoc install
GC> > GC> script has it, and the autoconf manual suggests that's the canonical
GC> > GC> location...so I guess that's perfectly okay.
GC> >
GC> >  It's indeed a rather weird name, but it does seem to be, if not
canonical,
GC> > than at least (one of?) the most widespread. FWIW I used admin/build-aux
GC> > for these files in wxPdfDocument because I really didn't want to introduce
GC> > a new top-level directory just for them (and "admin" already existed).
GC> >
GC> >  In any case, whatever it is, you do need to either hardcode it (which is
GC> > fine IMO) or use m4 to process configure.ac and extract
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR()
GC> > argument from it (which doesn't seem to be worth it).
GC> On our redhat server, installing libtool places config.guess
GC> in a different location that on my debian box. Everywhere
GC>   /usr/share/libtool/build-aux/whatever
GC> is mentioned in lmi's build system, redhat uses
GC>   /usr/share/libtool/config/whatever
GC> instead.

 Note that this is not the only possible location of this file, e.g.
this thread[*] lists all of the following locations:

        /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/config.guess
        /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess
        /usr/lib/rpm/config.guess
        /usr/share/dejagnu/libexec/config.guess
        /usr/share/automake-1.13/config.guess

So it looks like the closest equivalent to the Debian path would be

        /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess

but it almost certainly doesn't matter which one do you use anyhow.

GC> For now at least, I've just modified it by hand on the redhat box.

 I think the only better solution is to use "automake --add-missing" to
actually copy the files that it uses to lmi directory. This could be done
by running (the already existing, although not really necessary, because
autoreconf does the same thing anyhow) autogen.sh script. The main drawback
of doing it is that you need to have auto{conf,make} and libtool installed.
But it's not really such an onerous requirement for any Linux system.

 Regards,
VZ

[*]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/address@hidden/thread/FLPQOSAGBR73HLE36TNF25IALH6VDQWE/