lmi

Re: [lmi] No security updates yet for debian 'bullseye'

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] No security updates yet for debian 'bullseye'
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 20:50:13 +0000

On 2019-09-28 12:33, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  You should, of course, enable security updates even for "testing". The
> reason for the error is that you need to use "bullseye-testing" instead of
> just "bullseye" for it (for reasons I'd have trouble to explain, other than
> saying that "it was always like this"), i.e. the full line should be

[TL;DR: s/https/http/ (surprising though that may seem for "security")]

>       deb https://security.debian.org bullseye-security main

That doesn't seem to work for me. Testing it, in a chroot, as root:

/tmp[0]#ls -di /
1186757 /
/tmp[0]#whoami
root

by overwriting /etc/apt/sources.list (this chroot is disposable):

/tmp[0]#echo "deb https://security.debian.org bullseye-security main"
>/etc/apt/sources.list
/tmp[0]#cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb https://security.debian.org bullseye-security main

and then updating, I see:

/tmp[0]#apt-get update

Ign:1 https://security.debian.org bullseye-security InRelease
Err:2 https://security.debian.org bullseye-security Release
  Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The
certificate issuer is unknown. The name in the certificate does not match the
expected.  Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP:
128.101.240.215 443]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'https://security.debian.org bullseye-security Release' does
not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
details.
/tmp[100]#

After studying this:

  https://www.debian.org/security/
| You can use apt to easily get the latest security updates. This requires a
line such as
|   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib
non-free

I tried again, a little differently:
I commented out the 'deb' line above, and added the one debian.org
recommended (with s/buster/bullseye/ and without "contrib non-free"):

/tmp[0]#cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb https://security.debian.org bullseye-security main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main
/tmp[0]#
/tmp[0]#apt-get update
Ign:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates InRelease
Err:2 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 151.101.248.204 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates
Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
details.

Similarly, I tried copying the 'deb' line here:
  https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
(with s/buster/bullseye/ again):

/tmp[0]#cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb https://security.debian.org bullseye-security main
#deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye/updates main

but the result was the same.

As for http vs. https:

  https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
| The security.debian.org hosts currently do not have publicly
| verifiable SSL certificates on HTTPS and hence cannot be used
| with HTTPS at the moment.

as shown above I tried all these ideas with plain HTTP, and
they all failed. No, wait...I didn't try plain HTTP with your
suggestion, and when I do, it succeeds:

/tmp[0]#cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main