lmi

[lmi] Using GitHub Actions for continuous integration

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Using GitHub Actions for continuous integration
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 03:27:09 +0200

 Hello again,

 Trying to write a script for setting up building lmi in a new chroot has
accidentally yielded something that I wanted to have since a very long
time: a simple way to set up building lmi on any change in its repository.
I've done it on GitHub Actions platform, which is the most convenient for
me to use right now (although Travis CI has its own good points too...)
using the simple configuration file which can be seen here:

    https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/145/files?file-filters%5B%5D=.yml

and you can also see the results of its (eventually) successful (after
several previous false tries) execution at

    https://github.com/vadz/lmi/runs/892211080?check_suite_focus=true

 The workflow configuration isn't complete yet, e.g. it doesn't build 64
bit lmi version and it doesn't run any tests, but I'd like to add this to
it too in the (relatively close, although not immediate) future.

 For now I'd just like to ask if you would agree to put this file into lmi
master branch because it has to be there, and at the fixed location in the
repository, i.e. under .github/workflows, to be taken into account by the
GitHub machinery. I realize that you probably don't particularly love this
idea, but it would be very, very useful to have such automatic builds
happen for all our PRs (especially when I extend them later to cover MSW 64
and native Linux builds too). And, after all, it's just a text file, so
there is no real harm from having it and it shouldn't bother you in any
way.

 Please let me know if you would consider adding it, thanks in advance!
VZ