lmi

Re: [lmi] Best way to integrate PCRE

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Best way to integrate PCRE
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:26:19 +0200

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:14:17 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 9/11/21 1:27 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:16:05 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
[...]
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

GC> > with the host_xxx variables having the expected values.
GC>
GC> Sounds good. Then we'd just set
GC>   host_triplet := x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
GC> once and only once, perhaps a line or two above the 'custom_tools' target.

 Yes, this is exactly what I did. As you can see in the commit 5e49ea134
(Always use Linux version of test_coding_rules, 2021-09-11) I've also
defined host_{exec_prefix,build_dir,localbindir} variables, as this seemed
the tidiest way to do it to me, but please feel free to change this in the
way you prefer, I realize that this is a rather subjective choice.

GC> I'm fully recovered now, and passed today's follow-up examination
GC> with flying colors.

 This is great to hear!

GC> But I'm taking next week as vacation to recuperate from the recovery,
GC> and to process the last of our collective's tomato crop. Kosi, kosa,
GC> poka rosa.

[For some reason, I initially thought this was Greek and almost started
 reaching for Google Translate before I finally realized that I didn't
 need it.]

GC> If you want to submit it now, I'll take a look.

 I'd be very glad to! My branch is called "use-pcre" and the corresponding
pull request is at https://github.com/let-me-illustrate/lmi/pull/190

 I am not going to describe the commits one by one because their messages
should be clear enough, hopefully, and, of course, most of them have been
discussed to death here before. But please let me know if you have any
questions about anything there.

GC> Tolstoy could spend all day in the fields with his scythe and then come
GC> home and write those books, so there's no reason I can't do this.

 As long as you don't end disillusioned with everything you write (and
maybe don't demand such sacrifices from your wife), I see no problem with
that.

 Thanks in advance for looking at this patch, whether it's before or after
making hay!
VZ