lout-users

A couple of font queries

From: Barrie Stott
Subject: A couple of font queries
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:08:28 +0000

To print, I need two files: AFM and PFB (or PFA). I have no problem with
the PFB since, if I have more than one copy for a given font, they are all
the same, giving me essentially a single file. However, for the AFM, I have
one which came with ghostscript and one which came with lout (3.24) and these
are different.

Looking at Bookman-Light, for example, lout gives me Bk-Lt and lines near the
top say:

        StartFontMetrics 2.0
        Comment Creation Date: Tue Jan 21 16:15:53 1992

By contrast, the corresponding file with ghostscript says:

        StartFont Metric 3.0
        Comment Creation Date: 2/16/1996

There are also differences in some of the numbers within the body of the AFM
file and I don't know how significant these are. Hence my first question:

        Should I ignore these differences or should I replace each lout AFM with
        the corresponding ghostscript one?

My second question is about all the lout AFM files which don't correspond to
any of those which come with ghostscript.

        Are these for commercial fonts and, if not, where can I get hold of
them?

Barrie.