lout-users

Re: Newspaper-like flowing columns?

From: Samuel Lacas
Subject: Re: Newspaper-like flowing columns?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:19:16 +0100

# +----page 1 ----+
# |item 1 | item 2|
# |item 1+---+em 2|
# |item 3|pic|em 2|
# |item 3+---+em 4|
# +---------------+
#
# So maybe this is too hard?
#
# The essence of what I think is needed is to be able to mark up a set
# of individual pages as tables, but to flow text from a cell in one
# table to a cell in a table on another page (which may be 20 pages
# away). Doing this manually is possible; but painful because you'd have
# to split up the text yourself which would make it a pain for
# resetting.

Hi,

may be I'm wrong, but I'm not sure you'll have to do the splitting
manually. If your intent is to have some text-1 flow through the
item-1 places, and the text-2 flow through the item-2 places, etc. is
not the answer to have the item-n be the same galley ? What would
differ from page1 to page2 would simply be the place where the galley
targets appears in the page ?

I mean, define two pages description symbols, containing tables in
which you have @TextPlaceOne and @TextPlaceTwo (def @TextPlace...
address@hidden) in the appropriate cells, and @TextOne and @TextTwo be
galleys "into" the corresponding @TextPlace...
One problem I see with this "solution" is the fact that if your second
item-2 is indeed twenty pages aways, the galley may be lost because
lout decides at some point that (s)he won't wait anymore for a
following target.

hopteesselps

sL