Re: [Ltib] BSP releases and repository tags

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] BSP releases and repository tags
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:40:19 +0000

Hi Andrea,

On 24/01/11 16:02, Andrea Galbusera wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 12:05 +0000, Stuart Hughes wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> That looks like a bug, for the release the initial
>> rootfs/etc/ltib-released should be the same as the one on the ISO.  I
>> don't think this area has been updated, so is probably the same in the
>> current CVS.
>
> If I get it right, release_main() subroutine from Ltibrelease.pm is
> supposed to trigger a complete rebuild from inside a stage directory to
> ensure every piece to be in the final image. This stage dir is not under
> scm control since it gets created on the fly (follows some code from the
> script):
>
>> mkdir $rel
>> mv stage $rel
>> mv $rel/stage $rel/$rel
>> cp $rel/$rel/bin/ltib_install $rel/install
>>
>> # work in the release staging area
>> cd $rel/$rel
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> # built to make sure all generated pieces make it onto the iso
>> if [  "$tag" = "localdir_nobuild" ]
>> then
>>     ./ltib --preconfig $cf->{plat_dir} -m config --batch
>> else
>>     ./ltib --preconfig $cf->{plat_dir} --configure --batch
>> fi
>
> May this be a reason for the release_info to be rewritten with undefined
> values in the scm related fields during re-build? This is just a guess
> since I have little perl experience and need more hints to further
> investigate on this. I just wanted to share such a concern with you!

Yes it probably is the reason.  To be honest because the ltib-release
that goes into the target image is changed on every build, it's probably
not that useful for releases.  The primary purpose of this is to track
builds during development (to know where a particular image came from).
 In all likelihood if you release a BSP iso, it will get rebuilt and
this file will change.  It is a bug, but probably not a high priority to
fix.  The simplest fix would probably be to drop a copy of the "real"
release info into the rootfs after it has been built (overwrite the one
from the build in the case of releases).  I do not have time to do this
right now.

> One last question that is related to this same release process. Why
> rootfs.jffs2 does not get copied into "images" dir? It would be handy to
> find everything needed to flash a complete system there. I actually find
> a kernel, a bootloader but no rootfs! Is this intentional or should it
> be copied by extending the following instructions:
>
>> # copy the pre-built images if any to the iso so usable without ltib
>> mkdir ../images
>> set +e
>> cp -a rootfs*gz* ../images/
>> cp -a rootfs/boot ../images/
>> set -e

That is just an omission, it could be easily added.

> Thanks in advance for any more help in solving this issue
> Regards,
> Andrea

Please feel free to send patches to fix these issues against the
mainline version.

Regards, Stuart