lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0: (2) add posixlib

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Desiderata for 2.2.0: (2) add posixlib
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:12:10 +0100

Am 17.01.2023 um 18:55 schrieb Renzo Davoli:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 06:43:02PM +0100, Joan Lledó via lwip-devel wrote:
Hi,

El 8/1/23 a les 19:10, Renzo Davoli ha escrit:
Again my approach was to be as conservative as possible to avoid
side effects for other architectures/projects.

Your "port" patch for Debian adds a specific lwipopts.h file and two
'external headers': posix/inet.h, posix/sockets.h
Your lwipopts.h is significantly different from that in contrib/port/unix/lib
and the include files are not in the lwip source tree, thus the idea to add
a specific linux lib directory under the unix port.

Maybe you have a better view and knowledge of the projects using
the unix/lib code and you can see that it is safe to merge/update the code of
the unix library.

I vote for a new library, it is a surely safe choice. If the name linuxlib is
misleading we can call it debianlib or posixlib (one main point
is that the new lib uses posix compatible socket definitions).
The code needed for the new lib is just:
CMakeLists + lwipopts.h + posix/inet.h + posix/sockets.h

posixlib sounds good to me. I forgot to mention: I don't mind changing the
license to BSD to make the patches upstream.

In the new patch here attached:
* the name of the lib is "posixlib"
* the license of the three header files is BSD

Looks good to me (even if I don't fully understand it).

However, I'd like to get an ACK to this mail from Joan to ensure the
copyright changes are really ok.

Regards,
Simon