lwip-members

[lwip-members] HEADS UP ON DEVEL BRANCH

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-members] HEADS UP ON DEVEL BRANCH
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:55:27 +0200

Hello,

I will explain how to use the DEVEL branch (once it is there) and some
warnings on merging. (Summary: DO NOT COMMIT MERGED
BRANCHES YET).

> I think I understand the implications, but how do you check out the tree
> from a branch? I will have to figure it out when I make changes again.

Works best if you do a fresh check out (i.e. no local files present).
Basically, add the option -r with the branch name:

cvs checkout -r DEVEL lwip

as described here:
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.6/cvs_5.html#SEC57

Your working copy will now reflect that each file belongs to the DEVEL
branch. Any commit will automatically be done on that branch, so there
is no need to do anything else than the above.

Extremely simple.

Users of CVS wrappers such as WinCVS or TortoiseCVS (both for Windows)
or IDE-builtin CVS clients (www.eclipse.org is very very nice, available for
several OSs):

Simply fill in DEVEL at the branch or tag field, or select from the list.

MERGING

The more complicated issues arrise when merging back and forth between
branches. This is a very delicate issue, best described here:

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Branches

Merging needs to be done hand-in-hand with thoughtful manual tagging,
otherwise new merges will conflict.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMMIT MERGED BRANCHES
AT THIS MOMENT. WE HAVE TO AGREE ON A SCHEME FIRST.

> By the way, I have been very happy with the stability of lwip recently.
> It is working beautifuly. I am using both udp and tcp with about 6
> simultaneous connections. No problems.

Same here. I think 0.6.3 is the most complete and stable release ever.

Thanks for everyone's involvement.

Regards,

Leon.