lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Virtual machines in the same host (bridge).

From: Valery Ushakov
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Virtual machines in the same host (bridge).
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 23:36:57 +0000 (UTC)

Norberto R. de Goes Jr. wrote:

> - host Windows-7 Professional, 64 bits, with two virtual machines (Virtual
> Box), both  with Fedora-17 Distro, 32 bits;
> - the VM?s network configured as "Internal Network"
>
> I wrote a small "lwip application" based on unix port
> (community). It runs in VM #1 and a "tap0" device is created with
> success. In the VM#2 no application is running.
[...]
> Please, are there any restriction in use the lwip library in virtual
> machines hosted on the same server? More specifically with linux
> bridge use?

This should work.  I used to have a similar setup, but I no longer
have it handy.  The following is based on my notes:

The VM where lwip ran did

  brctl addbr bridge0
  brctl addif bridge0 eth1

  ifconfig bridge0 up

once to init things.

Then tapif.c had changed

  #define IFCONFIG_ARGS "tap0 up # %d.%d.%d.%d"

and additional

  status = system("brctl addif bridge0 tap0");

at the end of low_level_init() since tap0 is removed from the bridge
when closed and needs to be added back when tapif.c opens it anew.

Note that neither bridge, nor tap has ip addresses configured.

-uwe