lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] forwarding and NAT

From: bernard
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] forwarding and NAT
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 00:20:05 +0800

Hi Sylvain,
This is just a light-weight implementation. Because we are making a Wi-Fi start kit, there are two network interface:
* one is a Soft-AP, which can let user access the network. Therefore, we use DHCP server to allocate IP address;
* one is a Wi-Fi station, which can associate an exist WLAN and access internet.

Then the NAT is used for address translation, from the network packet of Soft-AP to the WLAN network. I think it no need a sound, heavy realization. This component is just available in RT-Thread RTOS. I will make the NAT more effective and make the code style more like lwIP's, then submit it to lwIP. Thanks.

BTW, we also port lwip-head to the RT-Thread RTOS for dual IPv4/v6 stack. Welcome for testing too.
https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/tree/master/components/net/lwip-head

Best Regards,
Bernard Xiong

Hello Bernard,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 05:01:33PM +0800, bernard wrote:
> Hello,
> We just put a NAT implementation in our RTOS(RT-Thread) 2.0.0 release:
> https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/tree/master/components/net
> https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/tree/master/components/net/lwip_nat

Interesting, from what I understand this is ""only"" a One-to-many
S(ource)NAT support ?  (More or less known as masquerading as well).

> The DHCP server also in there. Welcome to provide your feedback. We have
> planning to improve it because we should use it in our Wi-Fi start kit
> board.

Sounds great, even if I don't think lwIP should be used as an IP
router/gateway/DHCP server/… this is something which could be merged if
it is at some point rebased against master.

Sylvain