lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV webtechs download form

From: Eli's redistribution point
Subject: LYNX-DEV webtechs download form
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 97 13:54 EST

Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Screen is my life saver, with it's cut and paste ability between windows

I converted as a way of keeping my session alive and in a restorable
state after arbitrary communications failure. (Eg, the T1 one goes
down for a few hours.)

> Future screen releases may include overlapping windows; currently it
> only supports full independant windows.

Can alphas/betas with this be had, or is it still vaporware?

Benjamin C. W. Sittler <address@hidden> wrote:
: I frequently use screen (I am right now) and have Lynx setup to open in a
: window all its own. I would like to enhanced support for screen (and other
: similar systems, such as splitvt) that allow virtual terminal multiplexing

I am not familiar with that, where can I get information? Would anyone
here be able to test something written with that? Of the shell
multiplexers I have used (shl, screen) neither provides good support
for programs to do this on their own. I don't think shl can do it
at all, screen requires that you run screen and have it do everything.
That's simple to code, but limited in power. fork/exec/(fork?/)exec
is going to trash a lot of the environment, eg what file descriptors
are open, and the contents of dynamic memory.

: and persistent sessions. Perhaps a general way to achieve this would be an
: `alternate viewer' hotkey (similar to the Printer list) that allowed the
: opening of either the current link or the current document with another
: program. This would be great for those of us (for example) that like to
: play with gopher, but don't like the way Lynx implements it (it's not
: Gopher-plus compliant.) Perhaps a more general solution would be to allow
: a third `%s' in a printer or downloader definition which gets replaced by
: the URL of the resource in question.

Yeah, I think there are good arguments for allowing lynx to use more
helper programs rather than having everything built in. That is a
seperate issue from screen, but it would be good to have screen support
for that stuff. I would much rather read news with trn than lynx, and
I would rather use Rnmail than lynx's internal mailer.

Possibly the configuration file could be expanded for XWINDOWS/
SCREEN/NON_(X)WINDOWS environments with HELPERs for various schemes.
specified. That way people could use one mailer in X ("toolwait mailtool")
and another in screen ("screen elm") and a thrid in a non-windowing
environment ("lynx_internal").

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list

;
;